Monday, July 5, 2010

The little red bag


"Hospitality" means generously providing care and kindness to whoever is in need. As a missionary we have stayed in over 100+ different homes. Some you leave wishing you could stay longer. Others as you're pulling into the driveway you wish you could just step on it and get out of there. On deputation I started what I called the "red bag." This was the bag that when we walked into a home that was not very hospitable I would kindly ask my husband, Kevin "honey, can you also bring in the red bag?" No one knew what it was (except for all the missionaries who we told our secret too). Inside I would have a clean flat sheet to place over the bed, disinfected spray, cleaning wipes, gloves, all purpose cleaner, clean towels, and a thank you gift.

Believe me we used this bag often. I will never forget the time I got busted with Lysol spray in hand. A church was putting us up in a camper for a week and had not cleaned it since the family had gone camping last. Moldy food, musty sheets, and nasty bathrooms. So I got the red bag and went at it. Except what I didn't know was that there was a smoke detector and that it would go off with the smell of Lysol. The pastor came running in and I was BUSTED!

This week I want to focus on making your home a place of hospitality, not one of those "Red Bag" home. Easy tips on preparing for unexpected guests, recipes, and more.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

 

Your Little Nest | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Dandy Dandilion Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates